About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pop Music

My kids are now learning about pop music outside the house.  It seems to have happened on the bus trips they take on Fridays as part of their summer day camp program.  The trips are great.  They cost a little more but the kids get to go to water parks all over the state...Joliet, Yorkville, Champaign, Springfield, and so on.  They get to ride school buses to these places and apparently the bus driver plays some radio stations that play music that I don't listen to...yet.

Last night while messing around on Playlist, I was telling the kids that Michael Jackson sang with his brothers when he was a little kid.  They didn't know any of the songs from his Jackson Five days, so I found ABC and played it for them.  They cracked up..."That's MICHAEL JACKSON?"  His voice did sound like a little kid and a sweet one at that.  We danced around the living room a little bit.  Then they asked me to find some songs that they like.

I now know who Justin Bieber is.  He sounds like a girl.  Sierra does a great job of imitating him and dancing at the same time.  In her bathrobe.  With a kleenex hanging off her lip because of the big split in her lower lip.  OH, I forgot to tell you about yesterday's accident at the pool. 

She and a little kid collided while "walking" around the edge of the pool.  The little kid was ok, and "didn't even apologize"...while Sierra bit into her lower lip so deeply that there was a lot of blood and a call to mom to come pick her up.  It was split pretty deep but I know from experience that things like that generally heal up nicely on their own.  The experience?  Oh last summer I got a call from the day camp that Jeremiah and another kid had collided while playing volleyball and Jeremiah had a big split in his lower lip and mom needed to come and pick him up.

That time I took him to a dentist and an oral surgeon before finally learning that things like this generally heal up on their own quite nicely.

So this time I used the Instant Movie on Netflix and wet kleenex treatments.  They worked like a charm. 

Except that even by dinner time she was still drinking through a straw.  We were having ravioli.  I thought she'd be able to chew something soft and bland like that on the side of her mouth.  But no.  She wanted it blended. 

Jeremiah and I nearly gagged.  I blended the ravioli with a little water (per her instructions).  It looked awful.  She took a sip through a straw.  Ok, she said, I can do this!

Jeremiah turned pale.  She took another sip.  No, she said, it's not good.  I'll just skip dinner for now.

Jeremiah looked relieved beyond measure.

Well, later we danced and she ate some cheese which she says finished the healing process because it was cold.  Never mind the 15 times she refused to put ice on her lip in the afternoon. 

So, Oh Oh Oh Baby Baby Baby...ABC, 123, that's how easy love can be!

5 comments:

Connie Lou said...

I agree with Jeremiah on the "blended ravioli"....~SHUDDER~

Susan Ryder said...

Love the lips. Oh, and if you watch instantly on Netflix, don't forget to check out "Pillars of the Earth" on the Starz Channel. I watched the first one and it was pretty good.

Anonymous said...

We do learn a lot from our kids, don't we? (If we are paying attention!) (p-d)

Ellen said...

One of the best things about the blog is: I can just see their expressions. Hope Sierra is better today and will heal soon.

Kim said...

Susan, I know! I had to look a long time to find a background to fit this story!