About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Letter to my Brother

Dear Mark,

Last night at our book group meeting we discussed a book called The Wishbones.  The main character in the book is a guy named Dave, who "accidentally" proposes to his girlfriend of 15 years (15 years on and off as he likes to say) and then is pretty freaked out that he is actually getting married and the story goes on from there. 

In addition to talking about the book, we did discuss you and Betsy. I was prepared to protect you at all costs.  But I didn't have to.  Because the first thing Susan asked me was how old you are.  When I answered, she lost interest in you for her sister.

Now pay attention.  After next year this will almost never happen to you again.

You are too young.

Yes, I promise you that until you are "almost" a senior citizen and want that discount and cannot get it, you won't hear those words again.  Too.  Young.

Enjoy this moment brother!   It's my 39th birthday gift to you, just a few days late.

Love, Kim

9 comments:

Kim said...

PS - In the book Dave is a guitar player, too!

Ellen said...

I have to tell you, MARK REALLY is young. We called him on his birthday and teased him about being 39 - him and Jack Benny. He didn't know who Jack Benny was and Dad and I cracked up.

We decided HE WAS TOO YOUNG

Kathleen said...

Happy Birthday to Mark. (I would tell him at his own blog, but I am too old for him.)

Kathleen said...

My code word to post that was "hypoff" which sounds like a great middle-aged swear word.

Susan Ryder said...

Ahem. I did NOT lose interest in Mark. I think Mark would make a great match for Betsy. However, because she is almost 56, I suspected that young Mark might not be interested in her, even though she looks like she's closer to 45. So, that said (and if your mother isn't reading this) is you are interested in a mature woman with grown children who lives across the street from the Pacific Ocean in Laguna Beach, CA, let me know ...

Ellen said...

HER MOTHER IS reading this, Susan. I'll be in CA in a couple of weeks and might check this address out. :)

Susan Ryder said...

Does this mean YOU are interested in her, Ellen?

Ellen said...

NO DEAR. FUNNY lady.

Susan Ryder said...

Pssst, Kim. I don't think your mother really thinks I'm funny. She called me "Dear."