About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hup Holland Hup!

Comments from yesterday didn't get published due to Blogger having some kind of free speech issues. Or technical difficulties.  Who knows?  It's good to be a little suspicious sometimes, or so I hear.  Anyway, or as Kathleen would say, "anyhoo..." I got to read the comments on my email.  But I don't think I can publish them here since I don't have the "approval" step in my comments.  Or maybe I'm having free speech/technical difficulty issues.  Or maybe I'm have free technical speech difficulty issues.  Mom, can you please make up a word for that?

I had a busy day yesterday.  First I took the kids to day camp and got a copy of the week's schedule just to be sure there were no other surprises.  Whew...camp meets every scheduled day the rest of this week.  Then to work.  Then to watch the end of the World Cup Soccer game with friend Willemina, who is from the Netherlands.  Hup Holland Hup!  She was very excited when they won.  I half-heartedly pretended to root for Uruguay, as I kind of wanted to have a team from South America in the finals.  And Uruguay did give those Dutch a little scare at the end of the game, scoring a goal in the last few minutes, but it wasn't enough.

And Willemina sang me a song in Dutch about the soccer team which involved a lion in his underwear, a lion standing around in soccer shoes, and some other silly funny things that she translated for me. That was the highlight of my afternoon, until she fed me strawberry shortcake with Cool Whip! 

I left after all her Dutch friends began calling!  They are all understandably very excited.   The Netherlands has never won a World Cup and has not even been in the final game since 1978.  Of course, being a Cubs fan, I can't feel TOO sorry for them.  But I will root for them in the finals, especially if they are playing Germany.

And the Uruguay team WAS cuter.
Just sayin'.
But cute don't win no World Cups.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I would like to hear Willemina sing the Dutch song ON YOUTUBE!! Can you arrange that?

Kim said...

let's ply her with white zinfandel and see what we can do. who has a working video camera?

Anonymous said...

OK girls, come on over with the Zinfandel. I am always eager to be plied.
Hup Holland Hup! Willemina

Ellen said...

Sorry, no word comes to mind. Check here tomorrow - one may materalize about mid-night and will be on here if it does.

mom