About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bat Things Happen

(Spoiler alert...everyone seems to be okay today.)

On a day when I did not eat or make any hummus, some bad things happened.   That day was yesterday and the final bad thing in the list was a trip to the ER with my daughter Sierra.   The bad thing that led to the trip to the ER was, apparently (as I was in the house doing some paperwork for my job because of a bad thing that happened in the morning when I accidentally erased an entire patient’s evaluation from my work computer, which is about 30 minutes worth of work)….apparently Sierra, who was playing in the back yard alone, had a plastic baseball bat in her mouth (???) and then fell down. ramming said bat into her mouth.  She came screaming into the house holding the sides of her head which was pretty freaky. Of course her screaming was unintelligible, and then a little blood came out with some slobber, and then she screamed louder.   I finally got her to open her mouth and looked at the back of her throat, her palate, and all looked fine.   Finally I realized that what she was saying was “It’s UNDER my tongue.” Ohhh, yes it was, a fine sized gash there where the frenulum was supposed to be.

If you ask a 7 year old who is dearly afraid of needles “Do you want to go to the hospital?” and they say “Yes” then you drop everything and go. So we did.  Sierra sucked on her t-shirt to keep the pain down and held her pants up over her belly button which for some reason she was afraid someone would see.  At the ER we waited for the guy with rashes all over and chest pain to go ahead of us, then were ushered back to a room with the Disney Channel on TV which may have saved our lives.  The ER nurses were wonderful.  And an hour and a half later we were on our way home after some pain medicine for Sierra and reassurances that all would heal by itself. Just no potato chips for a few days.  Or anything else with texture or flavor.

The moral of this story is, if you don’t eat hummus, then keep the baseball bat our of your kid’s mouth. But Sierra claims the moral of the story is: “I NEVER want to see another baseball bat in my life. “ This could interfere with my other addiction, besides hummus, which is, of course, baseball.

Today I will eat hummus for breakfast. I’m not taking any chances.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh, honey, I am so sorry. Thanks so much for the reassurance at the beginning of this entry.

And for not mentioning bungee jumping.

Susan Ryder said...

You know, when I first heard this story on FB, and you said it was a plastic bat -- I was thinking the mammal not the baseball kind. Now it's even stranger to me for some reason. And of course, I am glad she is okay!