About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dilly Dally

Yesterday, to my great delight, Kathleen invited me her home for hummus.  Dill hummus.  Tribe brand.  It was delicious.  We ate an odd assortment of crackers and pita (the dregs of our combined cracker collections included a few Triskets of the Garden Herb variety, a few Ritz, and some Saltines.)  We ate and spilled some good cheap red wine (Banrock Station Shiraz.  Banrock being an Australian winery with an active interest in environmental concerns around the world.)   A delightful way to spend the afternoon.

On my way out the door Kathleen gifted me a container of the Tribe Dill hummus.  Yahoo!  I had some last night when I got home because it is just so darned good.  I really love the dill flavor in this hummus.  And the texture is a little less creamy than Sabra brand, which is a nice change and something I could aspire to making on my own in my now-regularly-used food processor.  I have made hummus several times in it (having started with the blender then moved on) and also discovered if you need any flesh removed that the blades work quite well and quickly for that purpose.

I decided to see what I could learn about dill before I tried making my own dill hummus.  Especially since I have had the exploding hummus on my mind, I thought it would be prudent to make sure you don't have to treat the hummus in some special way before adding it to the mix.

I did not find any references to using dill in hummus, but I learned some fascinating things about dill!

1.  Dill is known for it's carminative properties.  Now, I honestly did not have any idea what those properties might be.  And since I ate a lot of dill yesterday I thought it would behoove me to find out what that word meant.  Especially since I am supposed to teach Sunday school in a few hours. What if it meant I'm going to grow a third breast?  Ack.  Somewhere I have a bra for that, if the situation should arise.  But, Gentle Reader, the news is good. Carminative means gas relieving, thereby reducing flatulence.  A good thing when teaching 7 year olds.  No gas.  No explosions. 

2.  In ancient Greek and Roman cultures dill was considered a sign of wealth and was revered for its many healing properties.  The Talmud required tithing of dill!  But Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for tithing dill but ignoring mercy,  justice, and faithfullness.  I guess that's why we have to give money now.  Thanks a lot Jesus. 

3.  Greek and Roman soldiers also placed burned dill seeds on their wounds to promote healing. And in medieval Europe dill was used for love potions, casting spells and for protection against witchcraft. “Therewith her Veruayne and her Dill, That hindreth Witches of their will“ (Drayton, Nymphidia, 1627) . Carrying a bag of dried dill over the heart was considered protection against hexes.  I think that wearing red wine on your sweatshirt will do the same.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Does the combination of red wine and dill turn you into a nymphid?

Kathleen said...

And I am soooooo glad to learn of the anti-flatulence aspect of dill.

To post my last comment, I had to write "ploph" in the comment box. I wonder what I will have to write this time.

I am definitely living on the moon.

Kim said...

Ploph to you, too, moon nymphid!

Kathleen said...

There are blueberries in my blog today. And pi.