About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mashbooh!

While I was in Chicago I learned a new word:  Halal.  It means "permitted" according to Islamic law.  So restaurants that follow Islamic laws in their food preparation will advertise that their food is "halal."  I saw this word both on the menu for the previously mentioned Petra's Inn, and on the window of a coffeeshop/cafe in my friend Cindy's neighborhood.  The laws seem to mostly revolve around correct slaughtering and preparation of meat and the prohibition of alcohol or other intoxicants.  The opposite of halal is haram, sometimes spelled haraam.  These are the foods that are strictly prohibited.  But there is yet another category:  Mashbooh.  These are the things that are in question.  The grey area, so to speak.  One example would be gelatin, since it involves animal parts that you would not be sure were properly prepared.  The gelatin MIGHT be halal or it might not.  Generally, Islamic law seems to say if you aren't sure and you need to eat, say God's name over the food and proceed to eat.  But that's just my gleanings from a few websites, so my interpretation might even be mashbooh, or in question.

I like the idea that while there are somewhat strict guidelines for food preparation, there is the acknowledgement of some uncertainty.  And I love the sound of the word "mashbooh", sounding a little bit like something my kids might say when they jump out from behind a door to try and scare one another. 

I think hummus is pretty much sure to be halal.  No meat, no blood, no alcohol.  Hummus is probably also kosher, and vegan for that matter.  The perfect food in any part of the world!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I, too, love mashbooh! Sounds like something I do to food regularly.

Kim said...

Like mashbooh potatoes with gravy?