About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Green Hummus

Of course, it's St. Patrick's Day!  And though on St. Patrick's Day "we're ALL Irish", I really am at least 1/4 Irish every day.  So, today I will make hummus and add a little green food coloring, and those of you who are brave can check tomorrow to see the results of my endeavors.  We may have found a way to make that edible pretend puke that Kathleen wants to market.  Can you imagine when people ask what you do for a living and you could, in all seriousness, say "Oh, I made my first million selling edible fake vomit" ?  It would be even better than when people used to ask Mary Doria Russell what her novel was about (back when she only had one) and she would reply "Jesuits in Space!" and then watch them back slowly away.  I think Kathleen would be watching people turn on their heels and run for the hills. 

Back to being Irish, something Irish people (like ME!) love to bring out and flash around, their Irishness.  Today is a celebration of Irish culture, and according to Wikipedia, "celebrated widely in the Irish Diaspora."  I HAVE A DIASPORA!?  No, I'm part of one, I mean, or rather my great-grandparents were.  I thought we were just runnin' from rotten potatoes.  Straight to the coal mines of Southern Illinois.   Diaspora is one of those words that sounds glittery and shiny and pretty but is really code for "get the hell out of Dodge before your whole family dies."  Stilll, the day of St Patrick AND the concept of an Irish diaspora are making me feel pretty special today. 

If I'd been born a male person my parents were planning to name me Patrick.  How about THEM potatoes?

Well, I enjoy being a girl, named Kim, not an Irish name as far as I know.  Not short for Kimberly.  No saints with that name, either.  No holidays with my name in them.  BUT, part of the marketing strategy for our Hummus Products business will need to involve a holiday.  So that will be a topic for another blog.  In the meantime, kiss someone today who might even remotely be Irish...oh, that's right, today we're ALL Irish!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

A modest proposal: leftover mashed potatoes could be whipped up with hummus, butter, and pureed spinach.

Doesn't that sound delicious?

AND it could be the high-priced, premium brand of edible fake vomit, for rich people.

Speaking of potatoes, didn't Jonathan Swift, King of Ireland, once proclaim, "Let them eat people!" right before they beheaded him? I think they made a movie about it. Soylent Green.

Happy St. Hummus Day!