About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Wednesday in April

The lilacs are showing signs of age this week.  Last week it was as if the life force of the entire universe seemed to be exploding through those magnificent blossoms.  I could smell nothing but lilacs when I opened the back door. One day driving through the north end of town I had one of those "thin veil" moments when it seemed like the entire world was made up of nothing but lilacs, purple, lavender, and white, and there was a gentle rain and "Tears in Heaven" was playing on my car radio. 
These are my lilacs last week, looking like God herself!

But yesterday the lilacs looked a little droopy.  And I had to stick my nose way into the flowers to pick up the scent. (While Wolf sticks his nose into the previously left scents at the base of the bushes.)   I can relate to those lilacs, too. 

Yesterday these other things happened too:

I received, in the U.S. Mail:

The Pursuit of Happyness from Netflix, which I hope to watch this weekend.

A copy of the United States Constitution in tiny booklet form, from the ACLU, hoping to entice me to donate money to their very worthwhile cause.

A recipe for hummus with ideas for garnishes from a local grocery in Nashville called Publix. At the bottom of the recipe there is a reminder that if you don’t have time to make your own hummus you can buy some really good hummus. At, where else, Publix. (This came from my mom who is not Theodore).

There is a good line about Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of hummusness just waiting to be written here, but I'm not sure what it is..

Last night the BBC featured a story about Marilyn Monroe’s writing and poetry. What? 

Also yesterday at my job, I met a young man temporarily stuck in a wheelchair (while very broken smashed up leg heals.) He lives in a small town, can't work yet, is understandably bored beyond belief.  He discovered that if he wheels around town and goes through the drive-in teller at the local bank, they will give him free suckers.  I'm thinking the tellers probably are way bored, too, and enjoy his visits.

Before I went to bed, I went outside to look for the full moon but it was too cloudy. So I walked over, sniffed some lilacs, and went in to sleep.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I saw the full moon glittering before clouds.

It filled me with hummusness!

Kim said...

Pursue that hummusness! Live that hummusness!

Kathleen said...

Cuz those free suckers don't last long!