About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Shantytown Snack Shack

Sierra built a cardboard playhouse in the back yard this weekend.  Then the wind blew it down, so she relocated and rebuilt it in my garage.  Now I park in the driveway or the street and my car is covered in funny white and purple oblongish spots.



 What are those things?  Oh.

Her playhouse has a place for the dog, the mail to come through, and for her to sell snacks to me if I so desire.  Jeremiah and Sierra wanted to sleep out there last night, in the dark creepy garage, on the cement floor on a rug in the cardboard box.  I said no, not on a school night.  That will buy me a few days.

Sometimes when they seem so at home in such rugged conditions, I wonder how that might save their lives some day in the distant future if the worst case scenario of the recent spate of apocalyptic movies ever comes to exist.  I don't watch those movies but the commericals are everywhere and you can't help but think about it if you have little young people in your life.  So, maybe the ability to build a home out of cardboard and tape, sleep on a rug on a hard floor, will be a useful skill someday.  I hope not.

I prefer to imagine her building skills making backdrops for Broadway productions, with much more sophisticated materials than we have on hand today at home.  I think she could build just about anything with the right supplies and tools.  Imagination and self-esteem are in abundant supply in my daughter and that's a great thing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim's mom thinks they might be able to use that girl in Haiti right now. So many are without homes and they need good ideas. Her creativeness is on a GROWTH spirt.

Unknown said...

Kim's mom thinks they might be able to use her in Haiti right now. Her creativeness is on a growth spurt.

Kathleen said...

Sierra as a builder or a stage builder! Sounds fabulous.

I worked with a woman stage builder when we did Clean House! She was mostly helping us backstage, but she builds at ISU.

Unknown said...

Sorry, didn't think the first comment went through. It's too early.

Susan Ryder said...

Kim's friend thinks Kim's mom should just blame Kim's dad (Theodore) for the double posting. And yes, 5:41am is WAY to early to be posting anything online.

Kim said...

I think it's overfeeding my egomania that everyone is now defining themselves by their relationship to me. -signed Kim's Self