About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Mom is Not Named Theodore

If y'all read my comments from yesterday's blog, you may have noticed someone wrote that they are my momma but the name on the comment was Theodore.  This may be due to a technical difficulty due to the technical fact that my parents share an email account that is probably listed in my dad's name first.  Anyway, my mom is NOT named Theodore.  Her name is Ellen, and you've seen her picture and the Fulton County Sherriff now has her license plate number thanks to the photo in my blog yesterday of her car JUST after she broke the law in it. 

But on to other topics.  It is baseball season.  And last week I saw the wonderful documentary We Believe about Cubs and Cubs fans, of which my mom and I and my son are 3.  But as a kid I grew up a Cardinals' fan, since I'm from that zone halfway between the 2 cities of Chicago and St. Louis.  And in the 60's the Cardinals were a winning team.  I loved listening to Harry Caray on the radio then, and grew up with the names of Lou Brock, Orlando Cepeda, and Bob Gibson, among others.  When the Cardinals made it to the World Series one year, the grade school let us watch the game on the brand new TV (purchased for "educational reasons") in the multipurpose room. 

But as a grown up person, I lived near Wrigley Field and Harry Caray was an announcer for the Cubs by then.  So, maybe I was just a Harry Caray fan....?

Anyway, last night I had plans to do a lot of important stuff.  Wash the dishes.  Finish reading my book club book.  And important things, you know, like that.  But I accidentally found the Cardinals-Mets game on Fox in the afternoon.  Seven hours later the game ended, in the 20th inning, 2-1, Mets.  The Cardinals probably lost for several reasons, but ultimately the reason was they had a backup outfielder pitching the 19th and 20th innings.  Poor Mather, his pitching record is now 0-1.

The game didn't make the record for the longest game ever, or anything like that, but it was different and I'm glad I stayed up to see the end. 

That's one of the things my friend Bob says about why baseball is so great.  There is no time limit.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Was there any hummus involved in this? I ask because I got some more 40 spices hummus (but it will be gone by the time you get here, perhaps). Shall we go see the Cornbelters this summer?

Yes, I noticed that your mom was named Theodore. And I wondered if the law would find her, despite her alias.

Kim said...

Cornbelters, YES! I have a schedule. And today Jeremiah is taking me to an ISU baseball game with his two free tickets for good grades last fall trimester.

Unknown said...

Well, this is from Kim's mom, AKA as Theodore. It IS due to technical difficulties that I write under this name.

I'll work on getting my own account but HEAVEN FORBID I should cancel Theodore's account even though THEODORE hoed the garden last night and the cucumbers and onions that I put out are now gone. Oh well!!!!

Kim said...

You cannot make a pie out of cucumbers and onions.

Kathleen said...

Yes, you can! Add cheese and it's quiche! Real Theodores do eat quiche!