About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Retreat from Normalcy

This weekend I attended the annual NCC Women's Retreat at Villa Maria in Springfield.  Mostly what happens there is lots of talking and laughing and talking and eating and talking and drinking and talking.  It is a magical time and place every year for the women who attend.

We have large group and small group discussions.  This year in my small group one person's fabulous doodling of a seahorse led us to various inside jokes that eventually became shared with the group at large. Most of the jokes involved the word "undulate."  You know, rhythmic wavelike movements. 


When I got home I thought of the word ungulate, which seems to rhyme with undulate, and means a hoofed animal.  Like a horse not in the sea.  Then I thought of an undulating sea-ungulate.  Then I read about seahorses and found out They Are Fascinating Animals, as are the women at the retreat every year.  Here are two interesting facts about sea horses:  1.  they mate for life and are really truly monogamous;  probably because 2. the males carry and give birth to their young.  Yes, the female deposits her eggs in his little belly pouch and then she's done.  Very very interesting, those little undulating critters.

Each year at the end of the retreat I experience a resistance to leaving.  I wish the retreat could be just one day longer.  Nothing structured would be needed, just more time to read and talk and eat and talk and talk and talk.  Or nap and doodle. 

Now I'm back to Normal, Illinois, and better for the experience of my weekend with these amazing people.  Thanks all!

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

I knew that about seahorses! I thought that had come up, so to speak, in your small group. Or had undulated there.

I notice that this seahorse is the color of hummus. Seaweed is tasty, too. Let's start a movement for the legalization of seaweed! I mean, let us start an undulation!

Kim said...

We could attend a rally and do the Wave for legalization of medical seaweed!

Kathleen said...

And then wash our hair with it!

Susan Ryder said...

Methinks seaweed is already legal. The undulating lobbying should be for the other weed.

Oh, and you left out a couple of "drinkings" in the first paragraph.

Kim said...

Susan - you are right. Here is the paragraph as it should have appeared:

This weekend I attended the annual NCC Women's Drinking Retreat at Villa Maria in Springfield. Mostly what happens there is lots of talking and laughing and talking and eating and talking and drinking and talking. It is a magical drinking time and place every year for the drinking women who attend.

Susan Ryder said...

Perfect.