About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Reading before Writing

I know that writers are supposed to read a lot.  I read a lot more than I write, that's for sure.  But sometimes reading something so very good makes it hard to write for a while.  That seems to be the case for me today, after I finished Franny and Zooey yesterday, then plunged on into re-reading more Salinger, taking on For Esme With Love and Squalor.  A long-ish short story that I first read about 30 years ago and the story that got me hooked on J.D. as a writer.

I read a bit about J.D. the man yesterday, but found his life story to be somewhat, well, full of squalor.  Squalorful?  Squalorous?  Help!  The man clearly wanted his writing, not his life, to be what people read and thought about and discussed.  So, I will honor that and stop reading about him. 

As I mentioned above, what I found today, is that I made a bunch of false starts trying to get my blog going.  It's as if the writing part of my brain says either,"sorry, busy processing and cannot produce" or "for gosh sake's what's the point?"

Zooey would say "Write for the Fat Lady."  And I suppose that is what I shall continue to try to do, after my brain recovers!

4 comments:

Kim said...

I suppose I should try re-fueling on hummus and see if that helps!

Kathleen said...

I know what you mean. I keep rolling around and laughing out loud on the current re-reading of Zooey. I find it freeing, too, though. Like, hey, I am going to pour my heart out and say whatever I want, not fearing cleverness or sensitivity or love of beauty or any other Achilles heel! Not even fearing spicy hummus farts!

Unknown said...

You know, you two need to have a talk show on radio. You could put Click & Clack out of business.

You are even funny when you "can't" write.

KIM'S MOM

Kathleen said...

You are pretty funny, too, KIM'S MOM.

What would we call it? I write about books, she writes about hummus.

Don't Feed Your Books Hummus?
The Hummus Worms?
Kimmy & Kathy?

Ooh, wait. That last one's sort of good. The way it echoes Click & Clack.

No! I've got it!

Two Little Chickpeas