About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Rhubarb Pie

It's Wednesday night and I am making a rhubarb pie.  It's one of my dad's favorite things.  I got some fresh rhubarb yesterday and tonight I put together a pie, and it's in the oven and smelling mighty fine.  My dog might even approve. 

This afternoon my parents and I went out to Parklands and walked a bit along the Mackinaw River.  It's quite beautiful right now, bluebells and redbuds are creating a quiet riot of color in the woods.  Here are some pictures Sierra took on our walk.


This is the only bad thing about Parklands.  :(


Redbuds in action!



Bluebells across the Mackinaw.

 
On the way home from Parklands we drove by the land where I lived as a kid, the land with the lilacs.  My parents enjoyed stopping and looking at the place again, how it has changed, what things are still the same (the old corn crib is still there,  a small windmill, many of the trees.) One thing that's missing are the black raspberry bushes.  The people who bought the place from my parents took them out.  My mom still says "that woman was so stupid" when we reminisce about those bushes.  Another fond memory of that place, eating black raspberries off the bushes in the backyard throughout much of the summer and still always having enough for pies, freezing, whatever else we could think of to do with them.  So very good!

For dinner tonight we had salad, including some chick peas.  It was good, and fulfilled my hummus jones a bit.  Salad is a good thing to have before PIE and ICE CREAM.  Which is certainly next on the agenda.

Standard joke from my childhood, "Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?"

Answer tomorrow!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I am a bit concerned about your hummus jones.

As I understand it....

Never mind. I am glad that salad with chickpeas, plus rhubarb pie, and ice cream are now fulfulling your hummus jeans.

Did you see my new red high-tops?

Kim said...

Yes, I tried to comment on your red high-tops but I apparently failed. Hmmmmmmus.

Kathleen said...

I love Sierra's photos.

And, about that pie...is there any left?!

I think ground-up rhubarb would be might fine in hummus.

Connie Lou said...

I know the answer....can I post it now? Or will I ruin the surprise?