About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Monday, April 12, 2010

We Are Family, Too!!!

(Caroline - thank you for lending me the name of your blog for today.  You can use mine anytime, too!  Or any of the butchered pronunciations from my son...)

My parents are here for a visit.  My mom likes to talk and she's talking now while I am writing my blog.  I am hearing family stories about cousin's children that I didn't even know existed!  Mom knows stories about all our relatives.  She talks to eveyone and writes emails and is on facebook.  She is the quintessential networker and storyteller.

My dad is sleeping or pretending too because it is too early to get up.  Later he will get out his tool box and fix all those little and big things around the house that I either don't have the time, energy, or ability to fix.  On my list today are:  light fixtures in both kids rooms and a towel bar in the upstairs bathroom.  Mom is now telling me about how my brother and niece like to fix things around the house together.  (My mom is telling me this story as I type.  She wants them to start a TV show about that.)

Last night we sat around and told stories and laughed very hard.  They tasted my homemade hummus and didn't like it.  I think they don't like hummus in general, not just mine.  So I guess my addiction is NOT genetic.   I am so glad they are who they are.  I am so glad they are here this week.  I am planning to interview them (I bought a digital voice recorder that will get a trial soon) and then transcribe the interviews so our family can keep their stories.  My mom said she has been writing some of her stories down for some time now, and I can have those, too.  Just as I was interested in stories of my grandparents, my kids want to know and will want to know more about "the way things were." 

Now my dad is up, wearing a shirt that says "Laissez les bons temps rouler" which of course means "Let the good times roll."  In French.  And I agree!  Let the good times roll....

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

Joy!

So, are we on for tonight? Are your folks babysitting? Or am I completely askew on my European calendar?

AND will there be hummus at the reception, do you suppose?!!??

Susan Ryder said...

So will they be here long enough to come to church? Tell them HI from me! And have fun. P-Dub gets here Friday.

Kim said...

Susan, no they will leave Saturday morning. Unless I can coerce them to stay longer, but hummus apparently won't do the trick.

Kathleen said...

I had that horrible cringing moment when I realized your parents would be reading all my gross hummus comments.

Thanks for relieving my mind.

And for inviting the really cute author over for coffee at my bookstore! (I'll try not to fart.)

Kim said...

My parents laughed harder at your gross comments than you can imagine. Did the cute author show up?

Susan Ryder said...

No, unfortunately I couldn't make it.