About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Smoke and Fog

The Social Studies project is done, except for typing up the list of references.  Jeremiah chose, as his project on the southeastern region of the country, to create a brochure for Great Smoky Mountain National Park.  He worked very hard at it, and as I'm sure his teacher wanted to happen, he got interested in reading about the park even beyond what he needed to do the project. 

He's been to the park.  He's hiked almost to the highest point, Mt LeConte.  He's spent the night in LeConte Lodge.  He remembered some of the places along Alum Cave Bluffs trail.  What he couldn't remember is what we didn't see:  any of the views more than about 10 feet in front of our noses.  The two days we spent hiking there were rainy, foggy, cold, and windy.  We were soaking wet and cold.  The kids were miserable.  The trail was steep and difficult.   They swore they would never hike again after that.  Unless it was sunny and the trail was short and flat.  I think they had in mind walking around the block at home.

The photos we looked at while researching his project gave us both an idea what we missed by hiking in that weather.  The views, of course.  Also much of the wildlife.  We didn't see a single bear!  They were too smart to be out in that crappy weather, I guess.



Here are the troopers at the end of the second day of that trip.  I can't believe it was only 2 years ago.  They look so much younger.  Ack!  Where does the time go?

Yesterday after the project was done Jeremiah said he enjoyed doing the project because he did it with me.  I was glad to hear that.  Maybe someday he and his sister will feel that way when they look back on the trip we took in the rain, cold, and fog.  But I wouldn't bet the bank on it!

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Well, I'll bet my bank on it. I hope they are always as close as they are now. They will have some great memories.

Kathleen said...

Ah, I am lost in a fog of sweet memories!

Collagemama said...

Our most memorable family vacation included a drive up Pikes Peak in the '63 Pontiac Catalina, we three kids annoying each other in the backseat. At the top we couldn't see our own noses in the fog. On the way back down, the Pontiac's transmi$$ion broke. We spent the rest of the vacation staying in a motel for truckers, playing in the public park, eating dry Cheerios and Tang. I'm looking at my souvenir "I MADE IT PIKES PEAK ALT. 14,110 FT." button right now. You and your kids are making memories everyday, and lots of the most precious are what you weather together.

ted tingley said...

Some day when I get big and strong and the day is sunny an the trail is short and flat, I will
climb up to the top of Mt LeConte with Jeremiah
and Sierra.

Traci Freitag said...

I loved reading this! Thank you for sharing with me. It is so interesting to get the background that Jeremiah may not have shared during class. The memories you create with your child will live in them forever. He won't remember much about fourth grade, but I assure you he will remember that his wonderful mom helped him with his social studies project!