About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Feelin' Groovy

I met the world's most amusing clerk yesterday, at Target of all places.  Tawanna said to me, as I stepped up to the register with a pack of gum and a bottle of wine to take to Kathy's house:  "Young lady, I am going to have to see some ID for you to buy that."  I giggled like a school girl and opened my wallet.  I said "Oh honey, I am old enough to have kids old enough to buy this."  Tawanna then said, "no, I don't think you are even old enough to have kids.  Let's see the driver's license."   Then I said she was my new favorite person in the whole world and I wanted to tell her boss she deserved a raise.  She was all over that!  We joked around some more, and then she said, "Anytime you are having a bad day you just come and see me."  And I think she probably meant that.  I could get a 3-minute counseling session for the price of a pack of gum, plus tax of course.

Perhaps I will steal her away from Target and we will start a "drive-through" counseling business. You could pull up to the window in your car.  Hand over $2.03 or however much you normally spend on your overpriced morning java.  Tawanna would come to the window and talk to you for 3 minutes.  You drive away feeling a whole lot better about yourself.  We could have punch-cards, so after 10 sessions you get a free chat with her. 

Speaking of drive-through feel good moments, someone in the minivan ahead of me prepaid my Starbucks yesterday!  So I did the same for the person behind me in line.

I also had many feel-good moments before and after the Logistical Discussion with Oscar the Grouch, when loved ones near and far talked with me, cared for me, made me laugh.  Thanks loved ones! 

4 comments:

Ellen said...

One good laugh deserves another, right? You make me laugh almost everyday.

Stores should hire more people like Twanna.

ted tingley said...

Tell Tawanna that I need 3 minutes of her time.
My visit to Target to buy a battery for my garage door opener ended up with a couple of swear word and getting the young ladies boss involved.

Kathleen said...

I Wanna Tawanna would be a big drive-through business success, I am sure!

Collagemama said...

Your Tawanna might be the clone of my dad's Penelope. She jollies him out of his crabbiness, changes his Depends, and improves my outlook when I visit everyday. Tawanna and Penelope probably make a bit more than minimum wage.