About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Going to the Dogs

Today, according to the Bizarre and Wacky Holiday website, is International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day.  Not just Dog Biscuit Day.  Not just International Dog Biscuit Day.  No, it is International.  Dog.  Biscuit.  Appreciation.  Day.

I'm confused.  Am I supposed to appreciate only international dog biscuits?  Or is it an international holiday?  Do I have to appreciate the biscuits?  Maybe only international dogs should be appreciating biscuits.  French poodles, Scottish terriors, German shepherds.  If you are just a beagle or collie, you can just forget about appreciating a dog biscuit.

It seems the holiday name has gone to the dogs. 

My dog Wolf, part shepherd of some kind though possibly not German shepherd, possibly Australian shepherd according to our vet, Dr Matt (who is about 7 feet tall and still manages to look like he is 12 years old).  I didn't know there was such a thing.  But because Wolf is not very big, about 40 pounds, he is a candidate to be some other kind of shepherd.  Who appreciates his biscuits, for sure.  But he did not appreciate being asked to work for them the other day.

Don't get me wrong, he is willing to go through his "tricks" for a treat.  The kids have him trained to do a sequence of tricks including sit, down, crawl, up, and around to get one.  What he didn't like was being asked to get his treat out of a Kong.

Poor Wolf, I thought he would enjoy having to work to get his biscuit out of the ball.  The kids thought he would chase a ball, finally!  But alas, he sniffed it and managed to lick out a little of the cheese I put inside with the biscuit, but then ignored the kong and did what Wolf generally does best:



Sweet dreams Wolf!





3 comments:

ted tingley said...

Someone told me that yesterday was margaretta
appreciation day.

Kathleen said...

OMG, re: Ted's comment! How did I miss that?!

And your post, Kim, helps me understand why Wolf kept looking at me sideways when I just GAVE him a treat without asking him to do tricks. Finally, I asked him to sit, and he did.

Also, when I was walking A Dog Named Wolf in my neighborhood, a woman came by walking her Dog Named Something--we were in the street, major snow on sidewalks, etc.--and she suggested that the two dogs were probably a similar mix. Now they were of similar colors and size, it's true, but these two dogs did not look like twins. Now I realize that she might have recognized the Australian shepherd in Wolf.

I love the irony of a shepherd named Wolf.

Collagemama said...

I saw lots of doggies wearing coats in Central Park Sunday. Maybe Wolf needs some sheep clothing. (Of course, I also saw an awful lot of grown-ups wearing silly animal hats.)