About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Being Kim Tingley

The movie I saw last night was called Please Give.  The film was wonderful for it's reality, and not in a Reality-TV kind of way.  The people portrayed in the film are people you might know if you lived in New York.  A couple with a teenage daughter who has terrible acne and wants $200 jeans.  The lady next door who is crabby as hell but she's 91 after all.  The lady's granddaughters who take care of her, one painfully shy and sweet, the other a beautiful bad girl.  But nothing is exaggerated.  And while many things happen and change in the story, there is no perfect turn of events that resolves all the issues.  (The spy doesn't marry the single mom and live happily ever after, like in Friday night's film showing at our house, see yesterday's blog for details.)

It's more like real life.  And the "heroine" of this story makes embarrassing and painful mistakes while trying to help people.  And one of them is really really funny.  The others are just, well, embarrassing and painful to watch.  But real.

The heroine, Kate, is played by Catherine Keener.  While watching the movie last night, I kept trying to remember what films I had seen her in before.  I could not come up with it no matter how hard I tried. I asked Willemina and she said of course she had seen her in several films too but couldn't remember which ones.  (That's what happens when 2 "mature women" go to the movies.)  So this morning I googled CK and found out she was in one of my favorite really really weird movies of all time, Being John Malkovich!  Oh, yes.  Now I remember!

Willemina paid for my movie ticket!  She said it was because I watered her flowers while she was on vacation.  What a great exchange that was for me.  Its good, being Kim Tingley!  Maybe Catherine will play me in the movie version. 





5 comments:

Kathleen said...

She also played Harper Lee in the film Capote, so I'm sure she will be picked to play you.

Kim said...

I would like to watch that! AND I ordered Cold Souls from Netflix so in a few weeks (it's #3 of 4 in the queue) we can watch that and eat hummus!

ted tingley said...

One of the things I tried to do with my
children was not for them to do what
everyone else was doing and wearing but
to do their own thing. It might have back
fired.NO NO!

Kim said...

What? What did I do now Ted Tingley? You don't want Catherine to play me in the movie? What?

ted tingley said...

There was not one mention of rubarb pie in the whole blog.