About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Monday, August 23, 2010

Empty Nest

School starts again today.  Jeremiah starts 4th grade and he already knows his teacher is Mrs. Freitag.  Sierra starts 2nd grade and we have no idea who her teacher will be yet.  But in about 30 minutes we will find out who the lucky teacher is that gets to have Sierra in her class this year. 

Before we left for our vacation, this was the scene on our deck in back:



But upon our return, the babies had graduated from helpless little hungry mouths to independent beings in the world at large and this was the scene on our back deck:



I know the kids starting school isn't really the same as an empty nest.  They'll be home every evening.  But each school year brings us one step closer to that day when they are grown up independent beings in the world at large.  

2 comments:

Ellen said...

When you were all growing up people kept saying "They'll be gone before you know it". I didn't believe it then but it's true.

You will always be my children but when you leave for College something changes.

Kathleen said...

Mine did leave for college. :(

And my other one is responsible enough to be in bed by 9:30 since school now starts at 7: 15 a.m!