About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Back to Normal

Yes, we arrived home safe and sound yesterday afternoon.  But first, let me tell you about the Holland Farmer's Market.

I would have taken about a million pictures because it is a visual feast as well as a literal one.  The produce is stunningly beautiful but also there is art in how much of it is displayed.  I've never seen a stack of radishes that gave me reason to stand and stare at them in wonder before as I saw there.  And I don't even like radishes.

I did NOT take about a million pictures because my camera batteries were mysteriously out of juice.  Oh, wait, that's right.  Sierra borrowed my camera at the Dutch Village the day before and took about a million pictures of Delftware and wooden shoes and Christmas decorations in the Dutch style.  Here's one:


We will come back to Dutch Village later in the blog.  But now, back to the Farmer's Market, of which I have no pictures. 

We bought food, of course.  Blueberries, tomatoes, peppers, carmel corn, and ...oh!  look!  Good strong organic fair trade coffee!!!  Thank goodness.  The day was saved by a fellow from a coffee shop called Lemonjello (huh?) who sold me a cup of Organic Love Buzz for a buck and a half.  The change went into the guitar case of the man and son who were playing live music at the Farmer's Market to raise money for Doctor's Without Borders in Pakistan.  Other live musicians included a young man, a kid about 8 actually, who appeared to be doing his cello practice in public, a college-age fellow playing a violin hooked up to his laptop computer, and some regular old hippie folksingers. 

Francisco was salivating over all the plants for sale and the fabulous prices.  He finally bought two trees then proceeded to carry them, one in each hand, through the market and about 6 blocks further to his Jeep.  At one point he decided to run with them.  I overheard some interesting remarks and saw a few heads turn.  One guy said, "well, there's something you don't see everyday."  They were pretty good sized plants, fir trees I think, and about 15 bucks each instead of about 100 which is what Francisco said you'd pay at Growing Grounds. 

The cut flowers were stunning and there was even a guy selling Organic Artichoke Hummus. 

Someone at Susan's birthday party, I think it was Janet, told me not to miss the Holland Farmer's Market, and she was right.  Next time, though, I will take extra batteries for the camera.

And now, a return to Dutch Village. 

Ok, I took one of the pictures that used up the batteries.  But can you blame me? 

I told each kid they could have a buck to buy a souvenir trinket.  Sierra bought some little wooden shoes for, who else, Sammy! 


He loves them and is learning to clog, or tap dance as Sierra calls it.  And Jeremiah picked....



um, a blue eyeball ball.  It floats!  We played catch with it later at Saugatuck Dunes beach where the crowd swelled to, oh, about 15 people on a busy Friday afternoon. 


Best kept secret in Michigan, that beach. Shhh!!!

But as fabulous as vacation was, we missed Wolf.  He didn't miss us much, as the fantastic dog sitter took him on long long walks everyday and now he is spoiled.  I think she let him sleep on the bed, took as he seems to be camping out there now.  Or maybe he did miss me, too!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a WONDERFUL vacation. Makes me wish I'd gone just to see the Farmers Market.

I bet Sammy is the ONLY skunk that EVER had wooden shoes. Those are great. AND the eye. I'd be careful when I opened drawers Kim. The EYE might be watching you. HA HA HA

Kim said...

It IS a magic eye. You were invited to Michigan with us. Maybe next year?

Susan Ryder said...

Um, home Saturday afternoon .... at NCC Sunday morning for my barn-burner sermon? Hmmm.

Welcome back!

ted tingley said...

Your mother is travaling incognito again.
Using my ID for her comments. Looks like
a really neat place to be a tourist.