About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hump Day

Wednesday.  Hump Day as they say in the world of full time jobs.  Downhill from here to the weekend, then back to the grind on Mondays. 

Unless you have Mondays off.  Smile.

I have been taking the kids to a gymnastics day camp this week, as their regular Parks and Recreation Day Camp ended last week.  To get to the gymnastics camp I drive down Rainbow Street, which has what I call speed bumps, what some Ecuadorians call "chapas muertas"  (dead cops) and the City of Bloomington labels "Speed Humps"...huh?

The kids read the sign and said "Hooomp?" (long U sound).  And then before we drive over each one they chant in unison "Hoomp!  There it is!"  Over and over.  I think there are 4 speed humps on that 3-block stretch.

The kids also still like to yell "nice car" at each vehicle we pass sometimes, but with the windows up for the air conditioning, that has lost it's thrill most of the time.

Entertaining yourself in the backseat of a car is easy when you have a sibling to bother, or a sibling to use to bother your mom by bothering your sibling, or by banding together with your sibling to bother your mom by repeating something over and over until your mom has to pull over and find the aspirin in the glove compartment of the car.

Next week we will be driving to Holland Michigan.  The kids will be in the backseat, of course.  And because it is illegal for me to wear ear plugs while driving, I will be renting movies for them to watch on the portable DVD player that is my BFF on long car trips. 

And oh yes, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUSAN!!!!!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

And Happy Hooomp Day, Kim!

Susan Ryder said...

Thank you Kim!!!!