About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ride, Sally Ride

Wednesday proved to be a long day this week as well.  Twenty-four hours just like the other days, DUH!  you are probably thinking to yourself.  Or maybe you left off the DUH! because you are genteel and sophisticated.  If so, you are at the wrong blog site baby!

I had a long day at work again.  Grocery shopping, making dinner, guiding kids to do their homework, tornado warnings and sirens filled out the rest of the hours until sleeping.  I went to bed with the kids downstairs in the lower level (not quite a basement) a little after nine o'clock because I was plum tuckered out.  They wanted to sleep downstairs in case we got more creepy weather and I didn't really care where they slept as long as they slept and I could sleep too.  I was pooped!

This morning everyone got up bright and early at six a.m.  Yowza!  Even the boy was wide awake an hour before he normally even thinks about opening his eyes.  I am just now gettting a chance to blog in between dropping them off at school and heading out the door to work.  And really all I want to say today in my blog is "Happy Birthday Sally Ride!"

Sally Ride was born May 26th 1951 so she turns 60 today!  All the photos of her when she was a famous astronaut in the 1980's make her look like she is about 16 so it's hard to imagine her at 60.  But here is how I picture her in my mind:  She is driving a sleek silver 1967 Mustang convertible, wearing her NASA uniform, blasting the song "Mustang Sally" on the 8-track car stereo.  Out in the country she drives well over the speed limit and belts out the chorus when it comes around "Ride, Sally, Ride!"  Little girls stand out at the end of their farmhouse lanes and wave as she drives by.  She smiles and waves back.   

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Grinning. Great mental picture.

Once I realized there HAD been sirens (sigh...) I was thinking of you. Glad to hear you all slept in the basement!

Susan Ryder said...

We always sleep in "the basement that's not really a basement." It's where our bed is.

I am friends with Sally's sister, Karen (whom we call Bear, no clue why), a Presby minister. Never met Sally tho.

P.S. Thanks for redeeming me. I'd like the free plan, thanks!

Kim said...

Dear NVN,
You are welcome. The free plan includes one garbanzo bean, a squirt of lemon juice, and sitting for your pet rocks that are either diamonds or emeralds.

Collagemama said...

Maybe I could pretend to be Sally Ride for a day and take that Mustang out in the country!