About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Monday, May 2, 2011

Green Bananas and Purple Lilacs

My lilacs erupted into May.  This may be their finest year since I moved into this house 11 years ago. 




As you can imagine, their aroma is incredible.

Onto the green bananas:  plantains, sliced, fried, smashed and fried again equals "patacones."  Smashed as in squished with a glass, like this:



But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself.  First the plaintains:


You can get them at Walmart.  Today they were 54 cents each.  The clerks always freak out a bit wondering what they are and how to cook them. 

You peel them and slice them:


Then you fry them in a little vegetable oil, flipping them to cook on both sides until just slightly crispy:



You then take them out of the oil and, here's the fun part, you smash them!  Smash smash smaaassshhh!  Can you tell which part of this process I love the most?  The SMASHING!  Aaaah, so much fun.

Half fried, smashed green banana!  Oh happy day!

Now you fry them again, flipping them over to cook on both sides.  The oil gets a little wild and bubbly.

When they are done you put them on paper towels to drain a little of the oil off, then salt a bit.  Then eat them!  Yum, yum.   If your kids find out you have them you will have to share. 



 That's why you should always buy at least 2 plaintains.



3 comments:

ron hardy said...

mmm I am going to do the plain-tains. This smashing recipe sounds wonderful.

Kathleen said...

Double yum! My lilacs are out, too!

Susan Ryder said...

My head is so confused from the Monday-evening-instead-of-Monday-morning post I can't make any sense of plantain smashing.

And now it's after 8am on Tuesday and there is no post.

How will I get through my day?