About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, May 20, 2011

The Not-a-Millionaire's Club

What would I do with a million dollars?  That is the question I asked myself when I saw that today is  Be a Millionaire's Day on the Bizarre and Wacky Website.

Immediately I realized that I began to worry about it.  How much of it should I put away for the kids to go to college?  Would I continue working?  Would I need to work to keep my health insurance or could I afford it with that much money?  Should I give it all away to good causes?  Should I use it to start a business to create jobs for unemployed poets? 

I think my blood pressure went up 40 points within a few moments.

Instead I decided two things.  One, I will continue not spending money on lottery tickets.  Two, I would declare  a holiday called Lower Middle Class Day!  I am celebrating, instead, my modest home that I can afford, my 8 year old car that still runs fine, my ability to find good deals at Goodwill, and the fact that I can work part time and have time to enjoy the rest of my life while hovering slightly above the poverty line.



Though when I found out the other day that I got some extra money back from the IRS because I qualified for a credit called Making Work Count that I'd never heard of, I wondered if I might be hovering a little too close.  Well, this year I did get a raise and I'm working a little extra so maybe I will be lucky enough not to get that money back next year.

Hmmmm?

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love your new holiday! I am celebrating it in the same way--not buying a lottery ticket, and in gratitude and joy. Also, I have a job interview next week. Unless I am taken up in The Rapture (or, as I gather, eaten by a zombie). If we both attend the same After the Rapture party, we can wave our lack of lottery tickets in the air!!

ron hardy said...

I apparently was bumped from the rapture. This has happened before and it tends to bum me out.

Kim said...

Zombies rule!

Collagemama said...

I like your holiday, but may be too downwardly mobile to qualify. Also love "bumped by the rapture" which could be a good disco song for dancing on a lighted dance floor under a glitter ball for inebriated Cornhuskers wearing reindeer sweaters and crepe-soled shoes. Oops, I almost wrote souled.