About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Yesteryear, Yesterday

Yesterday was a fine, fine day indeed.

There were no sibling squabbles in the morning.  No one threw up at my house.  I went to work for a few hours and one of my patients showed me a necklace and earrings that she is making for me (oooooh!  they are going to be beautiful and I'm going to show them off, here, when they are finished.).  I saw a wonderful film, Get Low, with Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, and Bill Murray.  No, I didn't go see the film with them, silly Gentle Readers, they were in the film.  I went to see the movie with my friend Willemina. 

The film was at the Normal Theater, which is a wonderful place.   I remember going there as a kid.  Specifically I remember going in there with my mom, Peggy Swearingen, and the kids from both families.  Peggy was sneaking a big shopping bag full of popcorn under her coat.  She looked pregnant and no one questioned her.   I'm not sure if we were all broke or whether my mom and Peggy just thought it would be fun.  Probably a little of both.  My friend Peg in high school once snuck a camera into a concert for our friend Jim using that same technique.  

That trick doesn't work too well in the summer, or possibly can't be done at all if your name isn't Peg.  (Kathy, make sure your mom knows she is now on call for any activities of this nature.)

The Normal Theater is one of the few places in Uppity Town that looks the same as it did all those years ago.  The other place is just across the street, the Normal Post Office.  That building is bigger, but the main part of the p.o., where I used to stand in line with my mom to wait to buy stamps, is just the same. 

After the film, Willemina and I walked around the corner to the relatively new Uppity Town Normal Marriot Hotel and Conference Center for a glass of wine at the bar.  The bar is quite nice, not dark, and blends into the lobby seamlessly.  It was a lively Saturday night at the new Marriot.   I don't know whether it's like that on any given Saturday night, but I overheard one group of people discussing the fact that because of the time change, they should stay and have another round.  So maybe that extra-hour-of-sleeping-turned-to-extra-hour-of-staying-up was a factor.

I myself somehow managed to stay up late and get up at the regular time, but I'm telling myself that I got more sleep in spite of all evidence to the contrary. 

Other things, nice things, happened yesterday, too.  Running into someone I know that I hadn't seen for a few years at the checkout line at Menards, for instance.  (Yes, I finally bought the paint for the bathroom project.  Watercolor Lilies is in the House!)   People drove nicely all over town.  I made a patient who is very sad, for good reasons, smile. (By being silly and kind of obsessed with her beautiful bathrobe her son gave her for her birthday.)   I heard a song on the radio I hadn't heard for a long time:  Do You Believe in Magic?

Why, yes, I most certainly do.  It makes me feel downright buoyant.

Today the kids and I will be hiking some new trails at Funk's Grove with a group from NCC.  It is supposed to be another wonderful fall day, sunny and warm.   The camera will be joining us, and I hope Sierra will have some fine photos to post here tomorrow. 

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I had an uneventful day yesterday and woke up last night with a head ache. Maybe I should move to Normal.

Ellen said...

CORRECTION. Ted said that, not Ellen.

This comment IS from Ellen.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Kim. The movie was Mary Poppins and we took popcorn and whatever else we could get in because we had 5 kids between us. I remember that day vividly. I'm glad they have not changed the movie theatre OR the post office.

Kathleen said...

Wonderful day, indeed.