About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Kindness in the Off Season

November 13th is World Kindness Day.  As I type these words my kids are upstairs behaving in such a way that makes me see that we do, indeed, need World Kindness Day. 

We need every day to be World Kindness Day.

Tomorrow I am teaching Sunday School to what we used to call the "little kids class" but now some of those little kids are 8.  I think we will be talking about kindness tomorrow.  I think that will interest them for about 4 minutes then one of the kids will jump up and act like a ninja.  Fortunately that probably won't be my kid.  My kid will be over in the art supply cupboard making her own lesson and pointedly ignoring me.   Two of the kids will begin to whisper and giggle just when I am about to make an important point.  Then I will forget what the point is.  Later I will realize that the point is, always, for ME to demonstrate kindness to the kids. 

Today I will be practicing that special kind-but-firm look that says "Ninja, artist, and gigglers!  Turn your attention to the center ring, please!"

Jeremiah is sitting next to me as I blog, reading to me from Baseball Magazine.  He is beginning that long agonizing dry spell known as "the off season" by filling his head with players stats, wondering who will be coaching the Braves next year, and trying to remember who got traded to whom this past year.  It makes me happy he loves baseball as much as his mama....as much as his mama loves baseball that is.  Or as much as he loves his mama.  It's all the same big old loving kindness.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I am picturing you blogging with Jeremiah sitting there reading to you. We are beginning to miss our family and so we have to imagine all these things.

I cannot remember the name of the book I have of Anne Lamonts (I think that's right) and her description of teaching S.S. is far from yours. Glad you have a gentle feel for children.

Kathleen said...

I was picturing that sweet scene, too, Ellen. And mother love = baseball love seems just fine.

ron hardy said...

K stands for Kim. K stands for kindness. Yay, Team Tingley! Mother and son sharing the same dream in The Winter Leagues of their minds...