About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wars Abroad, Wars at Home

Jeremiah and Sierra are excited about Veterans Day this year, for the first time, because their principal is a veteran and they are having a school assembly in honor of this day.  Jeremiah needed to fill out information about a veteran on a big cardboard star which I assume they will be placing up in the wall or hallway.  He chose, of course, his Grandad Tingley. 

Ted Tingley, US Navy 1949 to 1953, served in the Korean War on LST 914.  That will be up on the wall of stars somewhere at Oakdale later today, along with the information of other kids' chosen veterans.   I feel incredibly proud of my dad.  And grateful for so much.

The school my kids attend is the ESL center for the school district.  Many of the kids are from countries in Africa, Asia, a few from Latin America though there is another grade school ESL program that primarily serves the Spanish-speaking community here.  Some of them, who have come from places like the Congo, have likely seen war first-hand as well.  There are over 200 people from the Congo living in our town.  One man, who was a medical doctor there, brought his family to the US to escape the horrors that are happening in his home country.  He is working to improve his English enough to get back into the medical field here, as well.   His daughter is in the first grade class that comes to the library when I volunteer there on Monday afternoons.  She is always smiling.  I imagine her as a young woman some day, becoming aware of sacrifices her dad made for her, and feeling that same pride and gratitude.

Another child in that same class has gone through a different sort of war.  His father, divorced from his mother, was recently sentenced to prison for killing his girlfriend's 2 year old child.   How can this boy have a chance to grow up and feel any pride?  It breaks my heart to see him.  Yes, he forgot his library book again this week.  And I think, so what?  I imagine him as a young man some day, and I cry for him.  I cry for him now, sometimes.  I hope he has a grandfather who is kind, or an uncle who knows what it is to make sacrifices for your family.  Someone to show him the way.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Thank you, Ted Tingley, veteran. And thank you, Kim Tingley, daughter.

Ellen said...

Dad is in the shower right now so has not had a chance to read this nice message.

I'm glad that little boy whose father is in prison has someone at school who cares for him. He will know by your acttions that he can trust you.

I'm proud of your dad too, Kim, but also very proud of you for all you do.

ted tingley said...

Thanl you Jeramia for selcting me for your school
project. Thank the rest of you for your thank you.

I was sitting a restruant a few months ago, and
was wearing my hat showing that I was a veteran.
A 8 year girl was sitting with her mother who
was talking on her cell. The young girl came over and said thank you for what you did. Her
name was Angelia. I was to slow on the uptake to
find out what their story was.

Collagemama said...

Thank you for the perspective on Veterans Day. Thinking of the child soldiers in Africa on this occasion is chilling.

Glad you can volunteer as la madre de los biblos librarios. I'm not sure exactly what the ESL kids used to call me, but I liked being the Mother of the Library Books.