About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Monday, November 8, 2010

A Walk in the Grove

Yesterday after church Mark W. volunteered to lead the kids and anyone else who dared go with us on a hike at Funks Grove. So 4 kids, 2 moms, 3 other women, and Mark hit the trail about noon.

It was a perfect day and the kids ran ahead and played and threw a lot of sticks into the woods.  We ate some lunch.  We took a lot of pictures because we were so happy to be together outside in the warm sun. 


Here is Mark, our fearless leader.  Also a retired history professor and author of several books!

This is what contented women look like, as we just had some honey crisp apple slices and the kids are off torturing some innocent sticks.

The kids said they were looking for deer, but they came back with Jen instead who was late to the walk because she couldn't pull herself away from watching the NYC Marathon.  I'm so glad they found her because she is a wonderful person, and also she brought macaroons from the Fresh Market.  And shared them, of course.

After hiking, exploring, and sharing some food in the woods, the moms, the kids and Jen wanted to keep hanging out in the sunshine.  We drove to another part of the park, where there is a nature center and some activities for the kids. 

The kids played on a zipline, climbed up in a treehouse,  and played in the creek.  One young woman was determined to get dirty, which her mother resisted until she remembered, eventually, that when it comes to kids and mud, Resistance is Futile.






This last photo is one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken, and it shows Karys's shoes at the last nanosecond before they got covered with mud!

Time to come back to Earth, Sierra, and head home.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh, thanks for recreating this event for us in pix & captions. That last picture of Sierra is one for framing, too, and I hope to see it in your living room alongside the school pix, etc.!

Those poor shoes. Well, mud scrapes off.

Unknown said...

This is great -- glad you posted the pics. I will share it with the kids when they get home from school.

Ellen said...

I LOVE these pictures. What a wonderful day. I can almost smell the leaves.

Connie Lou said...

Yesterday was the day for hiking. I'll blog tomorrow and post my pictures from our hike! :)