About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fantasy Book Group League

Sierra is home from school again today but she is definitely on the mend.  She's eating again (oyster crackers, green beans) and watching a video on Netflix Instant View.  I'm now the sickest one in the family, but at risk of jinxing myself I won't tell you that I think I turned a corner about an hour ago when I got up off one couch and moved upstairs to another one.  Baby steps.  I'm sitting upright now which is a new development that may or may not last long.  And I'm awake.  In the past 24 hours I've slept about 19 of them.

Good thing Sierra is here to take care of me.

You probably think, given the amount of sleeping and whining I've been doing that I have nothing to blog about.  Ha.  Haha.  Hahahaha.  And so on.

Before I succumbed to the virus I started reading a book of essays by Barbara Kingsolver that has been sitting on my bookshelf for a very long time waiting patiently for my attention.  The book is Small Wonder and it was written in response to the events of 9/11.  It speaks directly to my heart.  I wish Barbara Kingsolver was in my women's group book.  I wish she was my sister, my neighbor, my friend.  I wish I were as ariculate and thoughtful as she is.  I think she is the bomb, the cat's meow, that she rocks, that she is groovy and awesome.  I heart Barbara Kingsolver.

Last week I met a family of central Illinois farm women.  The mom, in her 80's, was my patient.  The 2 daughters, one of whom lived with their mom in the farm house that had been in their family for 5 generations, were there caring for their mother.  A friend had come over to sit with my patient while the daughters went to run some errands.  These 4 women were talking about books.  And it turned out the sisters and their mom all had read and loved Barbara Kingsolver.  I think the mom had read all of her books.   I love finding kindred reading spirits where I least expect them.

Returning to Barbara being invited to our book group...I would also like to invite Haven Kimmel, Isabel Allende, Alice Munro, Allegra Goodman, and Mary Doria Russell.  Now that would be one lively discussion.  At least by them.  The regular members would just be sitting around stunned and possibly drooling like fools.  What would we read for THAT meeting?  Probably something by Marilynn Robinson!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I heart you, Sierra who's taking care of you, and you writing about books and fantasy book groups. Yes, we would read Marilynne Robinson, because she wouldn't actually come, and we'd need everybody else to talk non-stop and enlighten us. We'd tape it, you'd lead the drooling, and, at some point, I would drop to my knees to demonstrate love.

Unknown said...

Oh, I so feel the exact same way about Barbara Kingsolver!! I'll have to read the book of essays you were describing. She is amazing.

ron hardy said...

I'm in this club too regarding Kingsolver. I saw her interviewed on the Bill Moyers two years ago. She is this interesting combination of soft-spoken yet fierce. She railed away about the Bush administration but in measured, articulate words with a hint of the Smokies in her accent.

Collagemama said...

I got to hear Kingsolver speak a few years ago about local and organic foods. Such a treat!

You might add Stephanie Kallos to your author's fantasy book club.