About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Monday, June 13, 2011

Work Hard Play Hard

Last day to stay and play is today!  The Player went home Saturday.  My parents arrived Sunday morning for a short visit and they left this morning about 6 to head back to Tennessee.  The kids will head out to their day camp soon and I will have one more day at home to .... mow the grass?  ....read and write? ....clean my desk and surrounding environs of piled up stuff?  ...nap?  ...go for a hike?   Oh, the possibilities are endless.

One thing is for sure.  I will be submitting a request for more time off at work soon!

J-dude went to a baseball camp at Illinois Wesleyan last week. He spent 3 afternoons hitting baseballs, playing "home run derby," and having fun.  That's what Wesleyan's coach said is the best way to teach kids to hit.  Sure enough, after not getting a single hit in his first 3 games of the season (before the camp), he hit 3 doubles in last Wednesday night's game.  Friday night he got up to bat and I heard the coach for the opposing team yell to his outfielders:  Get Back!  Get Back!

That sound is music to a baseball mother's ears.

The Dallas Mavericks won the NBA championship last night, whipping the Three Whiny Musketeers of Miami 105 to 95.  I admit I fell asleep watching the game with J-dude.  I watched an interview with Jason Terry of the Mavs this morning online and now I am really glad he is J-dude's favorite player.  JT is a thoughtful and articulate man who grew up poor in an innercity and he said his success is due to ....Hard Work.   He said his confidence as a player is due to ...Hard Work.  He said he was practicing the night before the game as hard as he practiced when he first started out playing in the NBA.  I think he is my new favorite player, too.  

2 comments:

ron hardy said...

Terry struck me that way too. Yes. In the driveway when Jeremiah took some long threes his announcer voice always said he was Jason Terry.

Kathleen said...

Yay, J-Dude! Yay, hard work!