About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Edible


These are not my nasturtiums.  Not yet.  The first little orange bloom appeared yesterday afternoon in the pot on the deck where I intended to plant only cilantro but nasturtiums also appeared.  As if by magic.  From a pot about 6 feet away where I planted my nastrutium seeds along with some morning glories.  All nasturtium plants, intended and volunteers, are growing lots of big umbrella-like leaves, but no flowers had bloomed until yesterday.  I immediately picked it and showed the kids that if you eat the petals they are sweet, but if you eat the base of the flower it is spicy.  J-dude would have none of the spicy part, still nursing his mouth after surgery.  Sisi ate it right up and then ran in the house for a glass of water.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Mine all got drowned. I'm glad yours are sweet and spicy!

ted tingley said...

Iv'e seen Sierra sample several leaves from plants in your yard to see if they were good.They
usally went down with no problem. My oldest
brother sampled Smat Weed to aid his brain. He said, never again.

Collagemama said...

But if you eat the leaves they taste like winesap apples.