About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Monday, June 27, 2011

Ankyloglossia

That's the medical term for tongue-tied.  The tissue below the tongue, one of the frenula, is too short and the person can't stick out his/her tongue.  J-dude had that. At least he did until this morning when we went to the oral surgeon and he had a frenotomy.  The nurse said he would probably not need pain medication except ibuprofen, but just in case she called in a script for us.  Thank goodness as the poor kid is hurting.  A lot.  Thank goodness Kathy was available to run to The Jewel and pick it up for us.

When J-dude first woke up from his anesthesia he looked like he might have been on some serious drugs.  Oh, wait, he was.  He couldn't focus very well.  He held up 2 fingers and pointed at me.   He mumbled "mom" and then smiled a goofy heroin-high kind of smile.  Then he got all teary and huggy and said "thank you mom" then he stuck his tongue out at me.  Because for the first time ever he could do that.  I gave him permission to stick his tongue out as much as he wanted just for today.

He was assisted to the car by his dad, a nurse, and his sister.  I got him into the back seat and strapped in.  His speech sounded like his tongue was the size of a baseball bat.  He said it felt like it was "thith big" and kept sticking out his tongue to see if it was the size of a baseball bat.

By the time we got home he was acting less like a heroin addict and more like a regular ol' drunk.  Weaving as he walked, nearly falling down, and saying "why can't I go to day camp today?  I'm fine!"

Now he is in bed, playing a computer game, and professing undying love for me.  Sisi is close by ready to help him or call for help as needed.  In case he decides to try running in place by the top of the stairs.  Again.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Poor guy. And what a good sister!

Collagemama said...

I'm ready for thumb therious pain meds just doing thympathy tongue exercises. Hope the recovery is swift!