About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Words of the Days

Since I discovered that J-dude does not know how to spell words that could get him into trouble on Google, and since I have password-locked my laptop to keep hiim from Googling anything at all, I have decided that we, as a family, will be having a WORD of the DAY.

By the way, my son has received straight A's in Spelling every year in school.  I guess bubs was not on the list.  Hmmm.  That's probably Laura Bush's fault.

Yesterday I asked J-dude to pick a letter of the alphabet.  He selected K.  I took the big red dictionary and opened it to the K section.  Looking randomly for an unfamiliar, but not too long, word, I settled on the word keck.  In all honesty I had never heard of the word.  I read:  retch.  Oh boy, a word a 10-year old boy can really use!  So know he knows that, in his own words, "keck and retch mean  to barf."  And he can spell them. 

Today he is looking up the word.  At first he wanted to look up the word ballsy but I gave him permission to do that and that took the fun away, so he has now settled on the word/s Digger (an Indian tribe in the southwest) and digger as in the digger wasp. 

Now he is browsing the dictionary because he realizes...words of the days are a lot of fun.

Now that's my boy.

4 comments:

ted tingley said...

Ask J-Dude if he wold look up a word that I need to learn.

Kathleen said...

Excellent idea! And I am particularly glad to learn the word "keck."

Kim said...

Dad: J-dude offers you the fine word "knar."

Collagemama said...

Pretty soon he'll be whomping you at Scrabble.