About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Pastors Teach Me A New Word

The kids are at their dad's this morning and there was not going to be a word of the day.  Oh woe.  But last night, while working on next year's church budget, Susan and Bob gifted me a wonderful new word.  If you are shy and don't like body part words then don't read ahead.  Oh, wait, you'd already have quit reading this blog long ago, so dear Gentle Readers, read on without fear.  Unless of course you are just stumbling upon this blog thinking, based on the title, it might be a word like Ecumenical, or Interfaith, or a new word for Stewardship, or some such thing that normal Normal pastors might offer to their church treasurers.

But that would be because you do not know Susan and Bob.

Of course, if you've seen Monsters vs. Aliens, you might think...oh, Susan and Bob...

That of course, is B.O.B.  the indestructible gelatinous mass.



while Susan is just...accidentally very tall.  Ok, she is really ginormous.  Which may not be a word.

But, no MY Susan and Bob are regular size, non-gelatinous human beings.  And they recently came across a word that means "the penis of an animal."  If you know this word, you know it will only help you in Scrabble if you have the Z and  a blank tile.  The word is pizzle.

Now, how did two non-gelatinous normal-sized Normal pastors find this word?  Through their search for dog-training toys.  It appears to be an ingredient in one.  Or so they claimed.  Honestly, in between figuring out how much we need to budget for postage and coffee next year (God's work can be very difficult!), I thought perhaps they had just made it up to keep me entertained.  But no, the word is even in the big red dictionary.   

So there you have it.  I think I will not teach J-dude to spell this word.  Or say it.  Or it's meaning.  I think a mom should have a few secrets of her own.



4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Excellent word. Also, a fine Shakespearean curse, as in "you bull's pizzle"!

Yesterday, I saw some Louis C.K. stand-up comedy in which he made up "penezia," a word meaning "the plural of penis."

Susan Ryder said...

Well pizzles! My picture doesn't show up. Was I pretty?

Collagemama said...

Yikes. It was a Bodily Fluids day in the preschool, but thankfully no pizzles. I'm a tad worried about "the early borrowing of Latin peniculus" in my BRD. In this case, neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Kim said...

CM you crack me up. Yes my BRD mentioned that too...and some plurals that were kinda creepy..plural peni being a scary concept.