About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What I Saw in Ohio

I saw lots of wonderful things in Ohio.  Most of the things I photographed were of the botanical variety, on a hike at Tinker's Creek.

This, I do believe, is black cohosh.  Even though it is white. 


Tinker's Creek is a wetland, and these Pickerel weed grow in shallow waters of the ponds we hiked around.


This is Wild Basil.  The basil growing in my herb garden pots doesn't bloom like this!  But my field guide assured me that wild basil does not taste as good as what we cultivate.  Still, I wouldn't mind a few wild basil plants to find their way to my garden.

I had more difficulty identifying this one but I think it's Yarrow.  If any of my Gentle Readers know better, I am willing to be corrected.  Gently, of course.


No, we didn't walk out into the wetland.  We stayed on the path, mostly dry, around the perimeter. 

Here is what I brought home from Ohio:

Wait, don't strain to read the label, let me give you a close up view:


Yes, Hummus Chips!  After I devour the two bags (I confess, part of the first bag is already eaten!) I will be searching for a supplier of these delicious little goodies in Illinois.  If you hurry on by this week, you might get a taste or two.

6 comments:

ron hardy said...

Getting to the Point was a sublime little journey. Still walking it with you.

Kathleen said...

It's hard to imagine Ron getting to the point.

Oh!

Humbles is the most perfect name ever for a healthy snack food. If we can't find a supplier, we will have to figure out how to make, bake, and shake them ourselves!

Kathleen said...

Also, if that's how black cohosh ultimately blooms, I will not pull it out of my own back yard!

Susan Ryder said...

That looks like something Fresh Market would carry -- or if they don't know, you could ask them to.

Welcome back!

ron hardy said...

I'm just a ramblin' kind of guy Kathy. I suffer from indigression. I should take tums.

Collagemama said...

Looks like yarrow to me. I can only remember yarrow by remembering Peter, Paul, and Mary first. The dementia is already kicking in. MUST find hummus chips!!!