About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Queen

The Holiday Website tells me it is both Chocolate Day and Strawberry Sundae Day.  (day day day deedle dee dee).   Celebrating one or the other should suffice but if you feel compelled to celebrate both of them today then by all means indulge.    And the website reminds me that chocolate is a vegetable, or made from a vegetable.  I think some nutritionists from the Reagan era are contributing to the website. 

Last night J-dude had a baseball game.  It was so durned hot and sticky the only place to sit was in the shade.  The only thing about the shade at Oakdale's field is...the weeds and the bugs.  Yowza.  Sisi and I lasted 3 and a half innings before we headed for home and air conditioning.  We saw the J-ster pitch 3 good innings, hit a single, steal 2 bases, and score on a close call at home plate requiring some expert sliding.

Ok, I am going to confess something here.  J-dude is probably the best player on his team this year.  He is not the youngest player so that helps.  He's been playing longer than most of the other kids so that helps too.  He loves and studies the game.  But some of it is just his natural-born ability.  The kid could throw a soft ball overhand before he could sit up.  The confession is this...I am discovering that I have some kind of celebrity status as his mother among the parents of the other kids on the team and sometimes from parents on other teams.  They come up to me and say "Are you Jeremiah's mom?"  and then they say "He is a really good player."  And then I smile and say "Yes, I think so too.  Thank you."  And then I sit there kind of like the Queen Mother because of course I just got lucky that way, an accident of birth.

I like being the Queen Mother of little league baseball.

I still would like to be Queen Manager of the Cubs, though.  Pretty soon it looks like Mike Quade is going to have a nervous breakdown in the dugout and I might get another shot at the job. 

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

I do think you should apply for the Queen Manager position.

Also I think we should celebrate both of these holidays together sometime today.

Susan Ryder said...

I say when J-Dude signs with the Cubs in a few years, part of his contract will stipulate that you are the Queen Manager and Queen Mother of the Cubs.

Kim said...

Kathy and Susan, you are my home-dudettes and I will give you jobs as team poet and team pastor when I become the Queen Manager.

ted tingley said...

I vote for Sierra exert her imagination to call the plays for you. Maybe you could get me on as captain of the head.

Collagemama said...

I was a dugout mama for a little league team and nearly had a nervous breakdown. The kids kept climbing the chain link fencing and trying to break their arms. They could never find their own caps. I hope being Queen is more serene.