About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

No Frickin' Frackin'!

I watched the State of the Union address last night.  For the most part I was pleased, inspired, and agreed with our President.  But when he started talking about gas (not his, or The Player's, but the "natural" kind) I got my britches in a bundle.  He didn't say "fracking" or "hydrofracking" but he did refer to it obliquely.  (New "safe" technologies...ouch.)

I first became aware of the process of hydro-fracking when reading Sandra Steingraber's blog, which if you visit today contains a 12-page letter to Governor Cuomo about the dangers of fracking.  Never fear if you do not want to read the whole thing, there is an excerpt as well. 

Sandra is one smart chicky-doodle with a PhD in Environmental Science.  She's from Pekin, Illinois.  She is a cancer survivor.  Read her blog. Read her books.  Worry along with her.

You could do something constructive about your worry, if you are so inclined.

 Hydrofracking is a health risk for folks who live around the areas that get fracked, and there is some reasonable concern about fracking creating unstable geological conditions leading to the increase of earthquakes in areas where there have been few before, like Oklahoma.

Say it with me...OK, No Frickin Frackin.

I sure hope I invented that phrase.  

3 comments:

TNTINGLEY said...

I'm sure you did invent that phrase. How do we get to her blog?

Kathleen said...

And no frickin' frackin' at Starved Rock, either!

Collagemama said...

Here in the DFW area we are bombarded by tv ads about the wonders of Chesapeake Energy's impact on the local economy and its corporate good-deed donations while it destabilizes and pollutes the Barnett Shale. Frackin' frickin' makes me crabby. Good links to Sandra's info. Thanks.