About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Saturday, October 1, 2011

October

How did the 10th month of our calendar get the name October which has the Latin root for eight in it? 

My big red dictionary was no help, though I did see another humorous word pairing at the top of the next page...octogenarian* odor.  No offense to those of you in your 8th decades, of course.  Because someday I hope to join that crowd and not have young 50-something whippersnappers snickering about odors real or imagined. 

Friday's word of the day was zarf, an excellent word to know for Scrabble, which means a chalicelike holder for a hot coffee cup, made of metal, used in the Middle East. 

Today my friend Cindy is to arrive for a short visit, from Chicago, via Amtrak.  The weather looks good for a walk out at Parklands this afternoon.  Dinner out somewhere.  Then we will probably play Scrabble.  Cindy claims I lost my competitive edge at Scrabble when I became a mom and was in the habit of letting the kids win games.  I think perhaps my vocabulary also went back to a 1st grade level.  Perhaps I won't win the game but maybe I can wow her with one or two cool words like Zarf or Keck.

Tomorrow the kids and I will be going to the Cemetery Walk in the afternoon.  I hope the beautiful weather holds (it's supposed to) and that they enjoy it.  I know I will.  See you there Ms Kathleen!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Yay! Yes, I heard it would be sunny all week, but dress in layers for the chill.

Medici at 5 tonight might include some NCHS pals, and then you could do dinner elsewhere in the restaurant, or elsewhere altogether, if that appeals to you. (See Facebook.)

I have a zarf! Sort of! Built onto a travel cup thingey!

Kathleen said...

Plus, Hit the Rojak!

Kathleen said...

Watch out, there is blood, two people have fainted...(possibly completely unrelated to the blood, but they both fainted at that spot).

Collagemama said...

Fabulous word of the day. Much more playable than pizzle. Do you play Scrabble on Facebook?