About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Sad Week

On Sunday afternoon Wolf, our beloved old dog, stopped eating his regular dog food.  He eventually gave up eating his treats, cheese, and drinking much water.  When he ate a little pizza out of my hand on Monday evening I thought maybe he was just on a hunger strike for better meals.  But Tuesday morning he wouldn't even fall for the pizza trick.

Tuesday afternoon we made a trip to the vet to see Dr. Matt.  The news is not good.  Liver and kidneys not working well.  He gave Wolf a couple shots to control the nausea he has probably been feeling and we entered the phase of Wolf's life which I am calling "Doggy Hospice."  We have a few days at most according to Dr. Matt, until we need to make that last vet appointment for Wolf.

As if on cue the universe provided exactly the person I probably most wanted to see when we left the exam room and went out to pay the receptionist after Wolf's appointment.  Bob.  Bob my pastor.  Bob the dog lover.  Bob the dog trainer extraordinaire.  Serendipity Bob and his puppy Daisy.  We chatted outside for a while, and then I got in my car and drove to get the kids and give them the crappy news.

The kids and I spoiled Wolf last night.  He got a hamburger, which he actually ate.  He slept with all 3 of us nearby.  This morning he drank a little water and got up the stairs on his own, so I know he feels a little better.  Today is probably not going to be the day, but it will be soon.    And that makes this one very sad week.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

So sorry. I love that dog named Wolf. I am glad of your together time with him. I had good together time at the end with our cat named Cheeks. We can learn everything from our animal friends.

Susan Ryder said...

I was so sad when Bob told me about Wolf last night. So glad that Serendipity had him there at the same time you were there with wolf (he just dropped in to get Miss Daisy weighed). The universe rocks.

Much love to you and JDog and Sisi - and to Wolf, that his last days are comforted by your love and care. Our dogs are with us for such a brief time, so each day is precious, especially near the end ...

From The Power of the Dog
by Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Collagemama said...

I am so very sorry.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kim, I'm sitting here crying for all of you and for WOLF. You can all feel just a little better knowing that his last few years were full of the best kind of LOVE.