About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, October 7, 2011

Packing for a Trip

Last night I was tired.  I have worked more than usual this week and for reasons I won't detail, my work has made me more worn out at the end of some days.  Like yesterday.

Then there was a conflict with Sisi over my request to take down the fort she had constructed in the living room.  I wouldn't mind a fort in the living room if my house was bigger, and I don't mind a temporary fort in the living room now, but her intentions were that it would be a permanent part of the home.  Nevermind access to the furniture behind it for the rest of the family.  So...I said to take it down.

Somehow this struck a nerve and it caused her to glare at me, then go into her brother's room (where he was already sent after getting in trouble for rollerskating on the wood floor in the guest room, right before my eyes, 3 seconds after I had politely told him not to rollerskate on the wood floor.)  I heard furniture being moved...the desk being placed behind the door for insured privacy from mom.  Ok, I thought, that's okay, let them have a private gripe session about me.  It will do them good and I will get 5 minutes to myself.

After a while I knocked on the door and reminded them it was time for showers.  The desk moved away from the door and I was allowed in.  Sisi headed to the shower, glowering a bit less, and then I noticed this sitting on the desk:



Why is this on your desk?  I asked the boy.

Sisi brought it up here, he answered.

Sisi, why did you bring the lemon juice up to J-dude's room?  I asked the girl.

I didn't do it, she claimed.

Hmmm.   I mused. 

Silence.

Finally J-dude said, She wanted to run away from home.  She was planning to take that along.

So we had the chat about running away and why and where would you go.  It made me sad.  I still didn't want a fort in my living room, though.  So, we finally agreed if she wants to run away again she just has to take me with her. 

Tonight we will be packing for a weekend trip to Ohio where we will visit The Player and attend a Lantern Festival.  I don't think we will need to take any bottles of lemon juice, but you never know what might end up in her suitcase!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Have a fabulous trip full of yellow light!

Collagemama said...

Running away from home with lemon juice? As a kid I used to plot how I would walk to Grandma's house in Pierce, 120 miles from my home. Concentrating on the route details and the necessary packing in bed after lights out always left me too exhausted to continue fuming about having to put away all the Barbie houses in the living room.