About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Books and Other Adventures

On Friday the kids got out of school early because it was their affiliated-high-school's homecoming and the parade was in the afternoon.  This year neither of my kids were in the parade.  The weather was chilly and windy, so they said they'd rather not go.  Ooops I forgot to remind them about all the candy that they will be missing.  Oh well,  So we went to the library instead.  (My kind of Friday afternoon!)  They played the kids computer games and I stayed nearby making sure they followed all the library rules (haha). 

Sisi checked out a book called Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Weirdos.  The book shows kids how to draw monsters, Frankensteins, witches, and other scary creatures.



It's a pretty great book and as Sisi says, "he makes it seem so easy!" 

J-dude checked out a book called The Giver which he has been reading with his class at school.  He wants me to read it, too.  I asked him for a synopsis of what he has read so far.  At first he said, "I can't really remember.  I just want you to read it."  I finally convinced him I wanted to hear what the book is about in his own words,  and he talked non-stop for about 15 minutes about the book.  So...there you have it, I found the magic phrase to open the door:   In Your Own Words.  And I probably said Please, also.

At bedtime the kids and I laid down together and they asked me to read some of the books I used to read outloud when they were preschoolers.  We read and laughed and they kept handing me books.  A clever ploy to stay up later.  I read Grandpa Toad's Secrets,  I read One Fish, Two Fish.  (My what a lot of fish there are!)  Sisi read Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.  Then it was lights out time, and they fell asleep quickly, kind of like when they were preschoolers.


4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh, how lovely and what fun!

I am reading Iodine now, by Haven Kimmel, whom we love, and I am gripped, absolutely gripped.

Anonymous said...

I got to post a comment on Connie's blog as Anonymous so maybe I can you too.

I wish we could find some of the books we read when you were little. "I Know an Old Woman", The Elephant Sits in The Banyon Tree" - what funny books they were.

Collagemama said...

Is Grandpa Toad's Secrets the one with the pea-shooter blueberry stains?

Kim said...

@collagemama- Yes! I have both the English and Spanish versions, given to me by a mutual friend of the author...one copy is signed.

@ Mom - maybe we could look on amazon.com for those.