About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Really Do Not Like

I really do not like the word "hate" but I came very close to using it in regard to Comcast this week. 

Last fall Comcast (which/who I really do not like) sent out various notices saying that all subscribers to their Cable TV services would need to order a "box" for free for each TV in their home and have it installed by January 24th or we might not be able to receive all of our normal channels.    I ordered said boxes, and The Player (would it be offensive to anyone if I just called him TP now? ) and I installed them.   Well, I installed them and then a few days later TP fixed my installations.

So approximately 35 days later our cable stops working properly and notes appear on the screen saying we should call Comcast (number on TV screen 800-Com-Cast) to "restore our service."

We made said call and waited many minutes to speak to a human being of sorts.  He said he thought he could fix it with some special signal from his location...but no that did not work.

Alas we would need a service call.  Which, since the boxes were now more than 30 days in our homes, would require a service fee of maybe $33 or maybe more...depending...and so on and so forth and ad nauseum.

Same boxes we were required to get by Comcast.

I got a little pissy with the human being of sorts and said to forget the danged service call and I would be thinking about cancelling my Comcast service. 

J-dude said "Let's hook the cable up again without the boxes and see what happens."

I said "WhatEver."

He did that and we now have not ALL of our channels from before but many of them.  Enough to watch PBS, The Weather Channel,  and NBC (which has the Superbowl on Sunday and also Brian Williams' Nightly News which J-dude loves.)  So for a week or so we are happy. 

Then I will get some company which is not Comcast to provide TV and internet and they can take their little boxes and do something with them which I will refrain from specifying so that I can stay in the category of blogs which are not "containing adult content."  But the phrase where the sun does not shine still might appear in my mind or my blog.


I really, really,  really, Really, REALLY  do not like Comcast.  Just ask TP.

3 comments:

TNTINGLEY said...

I feel your vibes from here.

Susan Ryder said...

So odd that your threat to cancel Comcast didn't result in their offering a free service call. Maybe call again and say - "Give me a free service call to fix this problem, or I'm canceling my service with you."

I never call them unless my cable is out and I want to report it so they'll fix it in my neighborhood. The rest of the time I go to the little office near your house and talk to the nice people there (who used to work for Insight and I am not convinced they are fond of Comcast themselves) and they fix me right up! Worth a try, since satellite is your only other option, and that service can be sketchy at best - plus they don't do internet.

Good luck!

Collagemama said...

I'm stunned that you have a choice. We have Time Warner Cable or else.