About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Big Bowl

Super Bowl 46 will be broadcast today and we will be watching it in my household.  The game itself interests me mildly, as I am neither a fan or nor a non-fan of either of the two teams.  But if it's a well-played game I will probably end up rooting for one of them based on a complicated formula of qualities such as (Color of the Uniform) x 5 + (Fit of quarterbacks spandex pants) x 3 +  Niceness of the coach - (Number of rough sacks of the opposing teams quarterback)*2.

Or something like that. 

But of course the real reason to watch the Superbowl is the commercials.  I will be reporting on those more tomorrow, but according to NPR there are 3 themes to this years Superbowl commercials. 

1.  Throwback to childhood (targeting the baby boomers)
2.  Animals (targeting most of us)
3.  Sex (targeting young men in this case according to NPR...but I suspect scantily dressed females with appeal to most men regardless of age, though the older and wiser ones will not, we assume, be running out to purchase the products mindlessly on Monday.  Though I understand if all men ran out tomorrow and purchased a Chevy then we might be out of the economic slump soon!)

This week I had a major car repair which was major enough to make me consider purchasing a new car instead of repairing the current one.  Once again my car had a major hot-flash and overheated in Lexington Illinois (twice in 5 years my car overheated, and both times in a town I have visited maybe 10 times in those five years.)  This time there was some damage to the head gasket. Ouch!  All is well now with my car and I even put the needed new tires on her, thus committing myself to try to get another 60,000 miles out of her.  (She's at 136,000 now.)  I think we will make it as long as I don't go to Lexington again.

It's Sunday, though after spending 4 hours with the NCC Steering Committee yesterday it's hard to believe I didn't already attend church.   Here is a link to some fine gospel music I heard on NPR yesterday for your Sunday listening pleasure.

Ruthie Foster and the Blind Boys of Alabama

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Likewise. I think I have to go so they can sing Happy Birthday to me.