About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

These Boots are Made For...

Monday, Presidents Day, Kathy's birthday, and a day of no school.  The kids and The Player and I headed to Clinton in the afternoon and went for a walk around the lake at Weldon Springs State Park.  I made sure that everyone brought their binoculars for bird-watching.

We saw 2 chickadees and 1 blue jay.  We heard 1 woodpecker.  We didn't need the 3 pairs of binoculars.  But we did need the camera to document the beaver activity, the kids, the scenery, The Player's imitation of an elf, and my new hiking boots!


Why, the better to hear the birds with, my dear.


Sisi just happened to have embroidery floss and a paper clip in case some worms were crawling around asking to be made into fish bait. 


The boy was happy to be out in fresh air and to throw rocks into the lake.  On some very thin ice the rocks bounced around and sounded like birds.  See photo #1 for person ready to listen for birds. 





Busy beavers cutting down trees and keeping picnickers away!



And last, but not least, my new hiking boots.  Shopping at Goodwill can really pay off.  Yes, those are Columbia brand!  Yes they were brand new!  Yes they fit great and I walked 2 miles in them with not one hint of a blister!  Yes, I'm overly proud of myself and my boots.  The last time I bought new hiking boots was 1992 and I paid an arm and a leg for some wonderful Vasque boots that lasted me 20 years, but it's time for them to be put to some other good use.  Here is what I have in mind.  Other suggestions are welcome!


4 comments:

Collagemama said...

The hen & chicks in the boot remind me of the old woman who lived in a shoe.

What a great Goodwill find, and a nice way to spend President's Day.

TNTINGLEY said...

I LOVE the hen & chickens in the boots. Can you make one for me?

Kathleen said...

What all round joy!

Yearning for boots now!

Collagemama said...

Hey, Hummus! Put on your big girl boots and post a blog. We miss you.