About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tahini Wahini Bikini

Tahini, rhymes with wahini or bikini, is an ingredient in hummus. Yummus! I recently learned there is a recipe for Hummus Kasa in a 13th century Arabic cookbook. And that the word for tahini in ancient Persia is "ardeh" which means holy food.

To make tahini, sesame seeds are soaked, toasted, then ground to make a paste. Tahini is used not only to make hummus, but my other favorite dippy food, baba ghanoush. (No way would anyone join a group called Baba Ghanoush Anonymous...or even try to say it outloud three times really fast.)

Wahini is a hawaiian word for woman or queen, but is used slangily to mean beautiful young girl. Which means I cannot be the Wahini of Tahini unless we are speaking the King's English.

If you don't know what bikini means, then stop reading this blog and go to Hawaii immediately.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

You ARE the Wahini of Tahini, and I long to see you in a bikini...

I feel a tahini ghazal coming on...

Don't worry, it's not contagious. It's a Persian poem!

Kathleen said...

I am posting another comment just to see what odd word I will have to type in the little box. Last time I had to type "hysleam" which will no doubt end up in the tahini ghazal.