About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Thursday's Child(ren)

Thursday's Child has far to go...I think.  Is that right fact checkers?

On Thursday I climbed onto a school bus and sat in the last seat with a kid that said, as we pulled out of the school parking lot, "Sometimes I get car sick."

Fortunately he didn't, no puking, though there was some bouncing around and sticking his hands out of the window which gave the bus driver some degree of heart failure.  I managed to keep said boy's hands in the windows the rest of the way there.  For that I received several compliments from other parents and the teacher who knew better than to sit with said boy.

I was assigned a group of three kids that were my charges.  Sisi and two of her buddies.  I have BEFORE HIKING pictures of them:

 
and AFTER HIKING pictures of them:
 
 
Here's my favorite photo of the day, though:
 
 
I would like to say that I knew this was going to be such a great photo, but it was just dumb luck.
 
The park, Matthiesen, near Starved Rock, is stunning this time of year.  In fact, the kids and The Player and I are thinking of heading there on Monday, since there is no school and it is supposed to be a little warmer than it is going to be today while we are at the Discovery Walk watching Kathleen as Georgina Trotter. 
 
Many of the kids in Sisi's class had never been anywhere like this state park that is only an hour away from here.  The comments I heard from 9 and 10 year olds such as "This is AWESOME" and "I LOVE nature, it's so BEAUTIFUL!"  made all the discomfort of riding the bus and traipsing up and down over 300 steps to get into the dells well worth it.
 
 
 

2 comments:

Collagemama said...

Looks like a way cool place, and there's even fresh water in case your charge barfed on you. As this was a body functions/fluids week in the preschool, I can truly appreciate your effort and also clear running water. Nature is indeed so AWESOME, and you are a great mom for braving the bus trip.

Kathleen said...

Neaterino! I'm glad you got to see the beauty. And thanks for coming to the cemetery walk, too, also beautiful--those trees!--if awfully chilly!