About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, July 6, 2012

Old Dog Needs Help with New Trick

One day I was snooping around the new non-fiction section of the Normal Public Library when I ran across a book about crafts that had a relatively easy looking mosaic project in it.  I thought I might be able to handle that project.  But I didn't check out the book and kind of forgot about it for a while.

A month or so later I was in the library again and decided to go looking for that book.  I didn't find it but I did find some books on mosaics for beginners so I checked out two of them.  I looked at them and got pretty interested in learning how to make mosaics.  I realized I'd have to invest a little money in the materials and tools and I didn't get around to it before I had to return the books.  So again...no new tricks.

A month or so after that, I checked the books out again.  I looked at them and looked at them and...suddenly they were a week overdue!  So I returned them without starting a project.

BUT after looking at these books so long, I had in my mind what I needed and what I wanted to do. 

I went to Hobby Lobby.  I spent a little money.  I came home.  I went to the garage and found a piece of material for a base.  I went out in the back yard with my tile cutter and my tiles...I found my hands were too weak to cut the durned things!

I recruited The Player to cut my tiles into little tiny pieces.  I drew and glued and later figured out the secret to easy tile cutting myself and cut and glued.  I finished the gluing yesterday afternoon, and I'm pretty proud of my first effort.  BUT now I need some advice Gentle Readers.  What color to use for the mortar?  (Okay CollageMama I am counting on your trained eye here.)  I'm thinking a beige-ish brown.  But I am open to suggestions! 

Here's my project so far...not bad for an old dog, don't you think?

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

It's beautiful! Oh, yes, I'm sure Collagemama will have good advice, and it looks like the current background is a beigey-brown, so that would look great.

You have reminded me of a little song I used to sing while tiling and grouting a bathroom floor:

Grout, it makes me pout...

(and so on).

ron hardy said...

It doesn't look like an old dog to me. A beautiful creature of the air.

Susan Ryder said...

So beautiful!

What's mortar?

ted said...

Good dog.

Collagemama said...

Grout makes me pout, too. I only tried colored grout once on a middle school Alamo history project with my eldest. Keep it simple & go with white. I did see some awesome mosaics in the subterranean chapels at the National Cathedral in D.C. this week... I like your butterfly!