About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Monday, May 28, 2012

My Exploding Grill

Ok, the grill didn't really explode.  But Sisi thought it would be a catchy title.   And we did have a grill snafu that could have exploded.  So...

At the end of last season the grill didn't work right.  I put it away in the shed, and then because sometimes when you let things rest like that they fix themselves (cameras, alarm clocks, fighting children, for example) I tried again this spring to use the grill.  It still didn't work.

The grill was dirty.  The grill was frighteningly coated inside with a thick layer of whatever coats the inside of a well-used grill with a neglectful owner.  Tar?  Ash and grease?  (I remember my mom used to use cigarette ashes and butter to get rid of stains on wood furniture.)  I thought perhaps if I cleaned the grill it would work right.

So I went to The Jewel and bought some stuff called Goo Gone!  I sprayed and scrubbed (I also bought a box of brillo pads) and sprayed and scrubbed.  I disconnected the tank to clean that area and noticed...the tank was very light.  Probably empty. 

Rats!  I thought to myself.  I didn't really need to do all this cleaning. 

But, I think, yes, I really really did.

Anyway we connected the new tank and lit the burners and the grill seemed to work. 

We fired it up at dinner time (I love saying "fired up!") and placed the brats on the grill, and then...

Flames began to shoot out the front of the grill frame.

Shoot!

Today I will be buying a new hose to connect the tank to the burners.  So that we don't have an exploding grill firework display for Memorial Day.


4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Indeed that was a catchy title. But I am still a little afraid...

Collagemama said...

You were trying to send the brats to the International Space Station perhaps?

My 88 year old next door neighbor who carries a concealed weapon in his pajamas (no not that concealed weapon) is worried that I will be the one to explode the condos with my little grill.

TNTINGLEY said...

Collagemama, You crack me up. Don't most men think they have a "concealed weapon" in their P.J.'s?

Mina said...

Maybe you are a charcoal person?