About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Gardening without Garbanzos

That's right, not growing these:


Today I made my traditional annual nursery shopping trip to Growing Grounds and Casey's.  (Yes I went to the Kiwanis Mother's Day Plant Sale yesterday but apparently the Kirk women bought all the good stuff on Friday!)  I told every clerk that I was buying my own Mother's Day gift but the REAL gift  is to go shopping all by myself.  Thank you to The Player who mowed the grass AND kept the kids home and safe and happy while I shopped all by myself!

I bought:

2 tomato plants
1 hibiscus plant with red blossoms

verbena (purplish and white)


some red star-shaped flower I can't name
some purplish bushy flower I can't name
rosemary (smells so good!)

cilantro seeds
1 strawberry plant
1 spiderwort plant

AND
1 delphinium plant



Sisi and I planted much of the afternoon.  After she performed The Beanie Baby Show...with acts by Beanie Babies that were (sorry Sisi...) much less impressive than her theater design.  The curtain (made of kleenex) lifted impressively with yarn attached to corners of the curtain that made it rise...quite professionally!

We planted and planted and planted.  A wonderful mother-daughter afternoon.  And she also made herself a bow-and-arrow out of shoestring, branches and feathers. (Inspired by The Hunger Games, I'm guessing.)


Already coming up in the garden from previous gardening endeavors:
green beans
snap peas
onions
nasturtiums (spicy edible flowers, yum!)
squash
cucumbers
basil

AND...the perennials that are in full swing this year are the bleeding hearts, Sweet Williams (most impressive blooms right now!), peonies, and creeping phlox.

I'm tooting my own horn!  As a gardener.  Cause no one here seemed very impressed with my efforts.  Just wait until the veggies start pouring in ...  I'll remember who was naughty and who was nice about the garden back in May....bwah hah hah!  (If you watched the new Muppet movie you will think to yourself "maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh!)  (If you haven't watched the new Muppet movie run out to rent it right...now...bwah hah ha!)

Of course there is that derned hydrangea that never blooms... 

4 comments:

Kim said...

Oh wait, and lettuce growing too!

Collagemama said...

I'm impressed. Hope your thumb is green.

Kathleen said...

I would like to see your fabulous garden sometime soon!

TNTINGLEY said...

You never did talk to your plants like I did, did you? I figured if they didn't grow to suit me the first year I would try and help them along a little.

My Ellen/Plant talk of choice is:
Grow you SOB or you go to the garbage. It usually worked.