About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Monday, December 10, 2012

What Would You Save?

Today I was in the "dilation room" at my ophthalmalogisit's office, waiting for the pesky eye drops to take effect and dilate my pupils.  I still had enough vision left to read a magazine.  I only read magazines at doctor's and dentist's offices.  That makes it actually fun to wait 30 minutes to get to a waiting room and then wait more!  It's a treat to read those magazines once in a while without paying for them.  (I do pay for and read The Sun at home, but since it has no ads it doesn't feel like a "magazine" somehow.)

But I digress.

My eyes are fine, by the way.  Unless you count the fact that I have early cataracts and surgery is probably going to be needed within the next year.  Of course, then I will only need glasses to read, which is actually...fine.  With me, anyway!

But again, I digress.

So while reading some magazine which shall remain nameless because, well, frankly, I can't recall what mag it was, I came across an article about the actress Viola Davis.  I have always (as long as I've been aware of her that it) liked Viola Davis.  But after reading the article I found that I not just like her acting, but also I think we would make good friends.   Here is why:

1.  She recently became a mom for the first time by adopting a baby at age 47. 
2   She has a good sense of what is important in life.

How do I know that number 2 is true?  Here's how:  she and her husband live in L.A. and recent wildfires threatened their home.  They found themselves with 5 minutes to take whatever they wanted out of their house and then had to evacuate.  Here is what they grabbed first:

1.  some hummus,
2.  a can of sardines, and
3.  some chocolate.

After that she asked her husband, "should we get the insurance papers?"
And her husband (who could also be my friend any day) said, "No, just the food."

So then they left.

I don't like sardines, though The Player is a big fan. 
So Viola and hubby, if you are reading this, I just have one thing to ask.  What KIND of hummus was it?

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

I am sorry about the cataracts.

Except the waterfall kind, where I will picture you in a thin place, naked, but obscured the crashing waters and wild spray and mist.

So you don't need to be embarrassed.

I love you, and I love Viola. Hummus. Her husband is a good guy.

May we all meet someday in a thin placed, obscured by cataracts!!

Kathleen said...

Place. Not "placed." That would be past tense. And I am always in the moment. And don't like to be tense.

Collagemama said...

I'm revising the list for my emergency survival evacuation kit...

TNTINGLEY said...

Listen, honey. If I ever have to evacuate I will grab my purse with my Debit card. Since SOMEONE taught me to use one I would never leave it. Food??? The Red Cross and the Baptist feed you well when there is an emergency.

Collagemama said...

I'm afraid I might grab my folder of passwords, or I'd never get back on the internet again.